Exclusive Curriculum – Exceptional Instruction
Our advanced curriculum and Kindergarten readiness program are the hallmark of our preschool. At Sunny Start Preschool students graduate our program knowing how to read, write, add, subtract, and count to 100! While we are proud of our reputation of preparing children in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics, there is so much more to our curriculum. Below you will find just a few of our unique programs, which are included at no extra charge. For more information by age level, please visit our Programs pages.
S.T.E.A.M. stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. We believe that this component is essential to building out-of-the-box thinkers!
- Science – Our students engage in weekly science projects and sensory activities, even at the infant level! These experiences engage the senses and promote curiosity.
- Technology – Our school is equipped with a Computer Lab for ages 3 and up. We have developed a partnership with ABC Mouse to provide our students with a virtual classroom which is available both at home and at school. Additionally, each class is equipped with iPad technology to provide flashcards and educational games as needed.
- Engineering – We provide our students with project based opportunities to identify problems, propose solutions, engage in planning, and apply construction techniques.
- Art – Engineering is impossible without design! Through the incorporation of the Creative Curriculum, we plan activities that encourage open ended drawing, painting, and sculpting.
- Math – At A Sunny Start Preschool, we understand that mathematical thinking evolves from the use of concrete objects such as manipulatives. Children are encouraged daily to develop representations of concepts such as computation, measurement, and statistics.
At our school, we believe that each child should be encouraged to reach their maximum potential. We realize that children develop at different times and have different needs.
For this reason, we incorporate formal assessments into our program three times a year for students age 2 and up. These assessments are based on observation and include knowledge of concepts, development of skills, and social emotional progress.
Using this information, our teachers are able to tailor small group activities to meet the needs of our students. We work in small groups to help children build confidence and learn at their own pace.
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.
Combining comprehensive strategies with common sense, Let’s Move! is about putting children on the path to a healthy future during their earliest months and years.
At A Sunny Start Preschool, we do this by providing healthier foods and helping kids become more physically active. We plan outdoor and gross motor activities that promote health, wellness, and physical strength.
Farm to Preschool
Farm to Preschool is a natural expansion of the national farm to school model and encompasses a wide range of programs and activities. Farm to Preschool serves the full spectrum of child care delivery: preschools, Head Start, center-based, and family home care facilities.
Its goals include: influencing the eating habits of young children while their preferences are forming; creating healthy lifestyles through good nutrition and experiential opportunities; and ultimately influencing policies to address the childhood obesity epidemic through a local food lens.
At A Sunny Start Preschool, we incorporate a “Vegetable of the Month” into our weekly lesson planning. The students taste, discover, analyze, and experience vegetables that are in season and are Fresh from Florida.
Community and Character
Learning goes beyond academics at A Sunny Start Preschool. It is our desire to instill a sense of community, appreciation, and manners in our students.
To do so, we have made a commitment to Community Service at our preschool. Our families participate in monthly activities such as toy drives, food drives, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, among others. We are big believers in the idea that our children have been blessed beyond our wildest dreams. We consider it a blessing to be able to give back.
Likewise, we love to recognize our students who go above and beyond following the classroom rules. Our teachers do an excellent job of teaching our students about character traits such as honesty, loyalty, generosity, kindness, and patience. We have a weekly tradition of recognizing these children as our Students of the Week. You can see their pictures proudly displayed on our Facebook Page each Friday afternoon!
I love love love this preschool/daycare! Very caring and loving staff and my oldest son loves going every day! I am so excited my twins also started a few months ago, they are so happy here as well. The teachers here are amazing! They genuinely care about the students and the woman in charge of curriculum for the school is always looking for new and great ways to teach the kids. I have 3 children at this school and could not be happier.
– Samantha T., Mom of Mason, Logan, and Olivia